- Peel and slice the potatoes and place into a large pan of boiling water. When the potatoes are cooked, 15 minutes or
thereabouts, drain and add the margarine and oat milk.
- Thoroughly mash – no-one wants lumpy mash! Season as required and set to one side.
- Gently fry the onion in a large saucepan for at least 5 minutes. This extra time cooking will add flavour to the finished dish. Add the garlic, celery, and carrots, then sauté for a further 5 minutes. Finally, add the herbs, bay leaves, frozen mince, stock, and Henderson’s relish. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- The mixture should have reduced significantly. Sprinkle in the gravy granules a little at a time. The amount of gravy mix needed may vary depending on the amount of liquid.
- Transfer your filling to a deep ovenproof dish. Remove the bay leaves and top with the mashed potato. For extra flavour, add grated vegan cheese to the top. Bake in the oven at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for 40 minutes, or until a nice golden crust has developed.
- Serve your cottage pie with peas, broccoli or green beans, and extra gravy.
Chef’s tip: Why not create individual servings and freeze some for another day? This recipe uses Henderson’s
relish to add additional flavour, because Worcestershire sauce contains fish. Other brands of vegan Worcestershire style sauce are available.
*Bisto original gravy granules (the red packet) are vegan. Some vegetable gravy powders contain milk powder so always check the label.