Roasted Cauliflower Tart
There are a few different components to this recipe but please don’t be put oﬀ, because it is not complicated.
For the roasted cauliflower
- 1 medium to large cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
For the crust
- 50g walnuts
- 50g oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper to season
- 130g spelt flour
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp oat milk or other vegan milk of choice
For the filling
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 dsp ground turmeric
- 1 round tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 lemon, juice and 1/2 tsp zest
- 60ml oat milk
For the garnish
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/gas mark 6. Line a roasting tray with parchment paper.
- Pour the coconut oil over the cauliflower florets and sprinkle with the salt, coriander and paprika.
- Mix and place on a roasting tray. Roast for 20–25 minutes, turning half way through roasting, until golden and starting to crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While roasting, make the crust. Lightly oil the bottom of a 23cm (9-inch) loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Place walnuts, oats, baking powder, nutmeg and seasoning in a food processor. Blend until coarsely ground. Place in a bowl. Sift in the spelt flour and mix.
- Using your hands, rub in the coconut oil until evenly distributed. Add the oat milk and mix. Add a little more oat milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Press the pastry evenly into the tart base using your hands. Trim any extra from around the edges.
- Prick with a fork. Reduce the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and bake for 15–18 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
To make the filling:
- Warm the coconut oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until browning. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add salt and continue cooking for 5 minutes to caramelise. Stir in the spices, remove from heat and transfer to a food processor.
- Add about ½ the roasted cauliflower, and the lemon juice, zest and oat milk. Blend until smooth and creamy. Spread into the pre-baked tart base and arrange remaining cauliflower florets evenly on the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Check cooked and then remove from oven. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and grated lemon zest. Set aside for 5 minutes before serving.