Easy Vegan Cinnamon Buns
For the dough
- 240ml plant milk of choice
- 40g margarine
- 7g pack of dry yeast (1 packet)
- 15g sugar
- 400g plain or bread flour
- Pinch of (Kosher) salt
- 50g vegan butter or margarine
- 60g sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Extra dairy free milk for brushing
- Heat the plant milk and the margarine until lukewarm, but not boiling hot.
- Sprinkle dry yeast on the top and then add the sugar.
- Leave it for up to 10 minutes until the yeast activates, and creates small bubbles.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix until the dough is sticky, but do not overmix. The dough will be sticky. Add a touch more flour if you’re struggling to shape it.
- Shape the dough into a ball, and cover with a damp towel.
- Place in an oiled bowl, somewhere warm. Leave to prove for an hour or two, until doubled in size.
- When risen, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape, ¼ inch thickness (0.2mm).
- Melt the margarine and spread onto the dough, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Tightly roll the dough, then cut the roll into 2 inch (50mm) rounds using a sharp knife.
- Place the rolls on a 20 x 20cm greased baking tray.
- Cover with a clean, damp towel and place somewhere warm, while you preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F/gas mark. The dough will rise slightly more.
- When the oven is hot, remove the towel and brush the rolls with some dairy-free milk.
- Bake until golden brown, for approx. 25 minutes.
- Let it cool slightly before serving. Make glaze topping if desired.