Herby Tofu Scramble
If you’re avoiding eggs, try this clever trick with tofu. This easy dish is packed with protein.
* If preparing for someone who eats kosher, check they are happy to eat Dijon mustard, which contains spirit vinegar. This ingredient is optional.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp white flour
- 120ml soya milk
- 1 block tofu (200–250g), crumbled
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 medium vine tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 dsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves (add at stage 3 below)
- Fry the onion and garlic on a low heat until soft.
- Stir in the flour, followed by the soya milk. Stir well to get rid of lumps and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the tofu, tomatoes, herbs, turmeric and mustard (and spinach, if using) and stir for 5 minutes.
- Serve on toast, with fresh basil leaves and salt and pepper to taste.