Smoked ‘salmon’ cream cheese bagels
- 3 carrots (1/2 pound or 225g)
- 1 tablespoon of dried kelp or other seaweed (you could even use a sheet of sushi nori)
- 1 cup hot water (250 ml)
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Wash the carrots, add some salt to taste, put them onto a baking tray and bake for 40m.
3. To make the marinade add the seaweed, water, tamari, liquid smoke, maple syrup, vinegar, paprika and pepper and blend.
4. Remove the carrots from the oven and allow to cool, before slicing them into strips with a peeler or a mandoline.
4. Put the strips of carrot into a sealed container and rub in a little salt to taste.
5. Pour over the marinade and leave for at least 24hrs in the fridge.
6. The vegan salmon should keep up to a week in the fridge.
7. Toast a bagel and spread the cream cheese on thickly followed by pieces of the salmon and a sprinkle of dill.