Carrot, Ginger and Orange Soup
- Good glug of olive oil
- 4 small onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2–3 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 litre water with vegan stock or 4 tsp vegetable bouillon
- Couple of pinches of cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut yoghurt or vegan crème fraiche (optional)
- Chopped coriander leaves
- In a saucepan, gently cook the onion in the olive oil until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and orange zest. Cook for a minute or so and then add the carrots, stock, and cayenne pepper or chilli powder (if using).
- Simmer until the carrots are tender.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Add the orange juice and season with salt and pepper. Blend again briefly to mix.
- Reheat gently. Serve with optional dollop of coconut yoghurt or crème fraiche, and a sprinkle of chopped coriander on top.