Chocolate and Orange Pumpkin Pie
- 450g/scant 1lb pumpkin/butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and chopped into small chunks
- 225g/scant 8oz medium-firm tofu
- Ready-made vegan shortcrust pastry
- 60g/generous 2oz creamed coconut
- 70ml orange, juice and zest
- 100g/3½oz sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180°C/360°F/gas mark 4.
- Place the pumpkin/butternut squash in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 13 minutes. Alternatively, roast them in the oven. This takes longer but brings out the natural sweetness.
- Drain the liquid from the tofu and remove from packaging. Place some clean towels on a plate and place the tofu on top. Top with another plate for some extra weight to further expel the liquid. Leave to drain for at least 10 minutes.
- Line a lightly greased 22cm removable bottom tart case with the ready-made pastry. Blind bake using baking beans for 10 minutes. Remove the baking beans and bake for another 10 minutes or until the base is cooked and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place the creamed coconut in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 30 seconds, mixing halfway.
- Place all the other ingredients in a bowl. Add the tofu, melted creamed coconut and cooked pumpkin.
- Mix using a hand blender, starting on a low setting. When it starts to resemble a chunky purée, place it in a food processor in small portions at a time on high speed. Blend until smooth and white flecks of tofu are barely visible.
- Place the mix in the baked tart case and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes until darker skin forms on the top.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool at room temperature for at least an hour. Once cooled, remove from the tart case and refrigerate for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
CHEF’S TIP: Serve cold or at room temperature. Tastes great on its own or with vegan cream and even a drizzle of agave nectar.