Baked Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Salsa
Sweet potatoes make a nice change from the usual spuds. Seasoning the skins is a good trick to make them crisp and tasty.
For the salsa
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into rough cubes
- ½ large white onion, diced roughly
- 1 small red pepper, cut into rough cubes
- 2 corn on the cobs (steamed and then corn removed from cob) – or use tinned sweetcorn
- Fresh thyme
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Cracked black pepper
- Sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1–2 tsp lemon juice
For the potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Paprika and/or chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- Grated chive cheddar. Try a vegan cheese – there are lots listed at www.vegancheese.co.uk, and you can buy online or in health food shops
- First, make the salsa. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix through. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least half hour before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Rub the potato skins with a little olive oil, sprinkle with paprika or chilli powder (or both if you love a bit of spice!) and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap up in tin foil and bake for about an hour or until soft.
- Split, top with grated vegan cheese and pop under the grill for a minute or two before serving.