Deep-Fried Breaded Mushrooms with Garlic Mayonnaise
A lovely treat for a special occasion.
*Vegan variation: Replace the beaten egg with 3 tablespoons cornflour mixed with enough water to make a thick paste.
- 300g/10.5oz baby button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 large eggs, beaten*
- Flour, for coating
- 75g/3oz dried breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Salt and pepper
- A few sprigs of watercress
- Plamil egg-free mayonnaise with garlic (or your choice of mayonnaise*)
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth, then put them into a bowl with the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently.
- Dip each mushroom into the beaten egg, then into flour, then into the egg again and finally into the breadcrumbs, to coat all over.
- Deep fry in oil heated to 180–190°C (350–375°F) or when a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds, for about 4 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve at once, garnished with watercress and accompanied by the mayonnaise.