Eggless, Creamless Crème Brûlée
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 tbsp agar agar
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 180g/6.5oz silken tofu (firm)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of turmeric
- Granulated sugar for caramelising
- Blend the cashews, agar agar and pinch of salt into a powder.
- Put in a saucepan and add ½ cup of boiling water. Blend with a hand blender for 1 minute over a gentle heat.
- Gradually add the remaining boiling water. Continue blending for 2 minutes.
- Add tofu, maple syrup, vanilla extract and turmeric.
- Process for another couple of minutes or until smooth.
- Pass mixture through a fine sieve. Heat in a saucepan gently for 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL.
- Divide among ramekins and let cool.
- Cover with cling film and chill in fridge for a few hours.
- Remove from fridge and sprinkle each ramekin with enough sugar to cover the top. Caramelise with a chef torch or under a grill.
- Serve immediately.