Mushroom, Nut & Cranberry Wellington
A wonderfully festive centrepiece! The filling could even be made in advance and frozen until you’re ready to wrap it and bake it.
For the filling
- Oil for frying
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 350g mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 200g mixed chopped nuts (brazils, almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
For the pastry
- 1 packet vegan puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease a baking tray with oil.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic on a low heat until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot, herbs, lemon juice, tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce and continue to cook for 10–20 minutes.
- Once the mixture has reduced, remove from the heat and add the breadcrumbs and nuts. If the mixture is a little wet, add more breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Roll the pastry into a large rectangle to fit a regular sized baking tray. Spread the cranberry sauce down the middle of the pastry and spoon the mushroom mixture on top, forming into a sausage.
- Score the sides of the pastry either side of the mixture and plait. You’re aiming to create a large sausage roll.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for around 30–45 minutes, or until pastry has risen.