Get practicing your sushi rolling with these healthy maki rolls. You’ll be a master in no time.
Time to prepare: 20 mins
Dietary requirements: Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Kosher, Vegan, Wheat-free
- 60g/2.1oz sushi rice or short grain brown rice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp rice vinegar
- 4cm ginger, grated
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ lime, juice only
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 spring onions, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 40g/1.4 oz button mushrooms, julienned and marinated for 15 minutes in 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp mirin
- Optional: wasabi sauce
- Cook the rice to the packet instructions.
- While it is cooking make the dipping sauce by pouring into a small bowl and mixing together.
- Season the cooked rice with the soy sauce, rice vinegar and ginger. Mix well and set aside.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl with the lime juice. Fold in the sesame seeds. Season with salt and set aside.
- Place one nori sheet (shiny side down) on a sushi mat. Spread the rice evenly on the sheet. Make sure you leave 3cm around all the edges.
- Press the rice firmly against the nori with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the avocado in a long strip across the centre of the nori sheet. Then arrange the spring onion, carrot and mushrooms, again across the nori sheet. Don’t be tempted to overfill the roll.
- Enjoy dipped into the sauce.