The perfect vegan substitute for pulled pork. Ideal for summer BBQs and parties.
Time to prepare: 05 mins
Time to cook: 30 mins
Dietary requirements: Dairy-free, Egg-free, Halal, Vegan
For BBQ sauce
- 80g/scant 3oz tomato ketchup
- 45ml apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 tsp chipotle chilli paste (depending how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 x400g/14 oz. can jackfruit, drained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50ml water
- 100g/3.5oz Adzuki or black beans, canned – drained
- Mix together all the BBQ sauce ingredients in a bowl and add the minced garlic. Set to the side.
- Prepare the jackfruit by pulling and shredding the pieces with your hands, discarding any harder pieces of the core.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil to a medium heat. Add the sliced onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add the shredded jackfruit and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add a splash of water to keep it from sticking to the pan.
- Stir in 50ml water and half of the BBQ sauce. Turn the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the drained beans and cook, covered, for another 10 minutes. Stir as required.
- Remove the cover and stir in the remaining BBQ sauce and warm through.
- Serve in a wrap or vegan brioche style bun topped with crunchy salad or vegan slaw.