Strawberry Bakewell Tart
A new take on the traditional Cherry Bakewell Tart, but this time using fresh summer fruits.
For the pastry (OR use a packet of shortcrust pastry)
- 125g vegan margarine
- 220g plain flour
- 30g icing sugar
- 300g strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1–2 tbsp caster sugar
For the sponge
- 170g self-raising flour
- 170g ground almonds
- 170g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 200ml water
- Flaked almonds and icing sugar to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5.
2. If making the pastry, rub the margarine into the flour and icing sugar until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add a little cold water until it comes together as a dough.
3. Roll pastry to about a 3mm thickness. Line a tart tin with it and blind bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place strawberries and sugar in a pan. Cook for around 15 minutes until mixture is thick and reduced. Set aside to cool.
5. Make the sponge by combining the dry ingredients, then adding the wet ingredients. It should be quite runny.
6. Spread the cooled strawberry reduction onto the pastry case. Pour the sponge batter on top and finish with flaked almonds.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Bake for a further 25 minutes.
8. Allow to cool then dust with icing sugar and serve with vegan cream, ice cream or custard.