Hottest vegan over 50
Smoothies, cooking from scratch and riding bikes are the secrets to looking fabulous, says mum-of-three who has just been crowned the UK and Ireland’s hottest vegan over 50.
Louise Hird, 52, from Selby, said she is "just giddy" after scooping the accolade from animal rights charity PETA this week.
Voted by the general public as the winner, she said it was the boost she needed after a difficult year.
Louise is a full-time carer for her eldest daughter who has epilepsy and wanted to do something for herself.
Speaking to Vegetarian for Life, she said: “I decided to put myself forward for it as I have had a difficult year personally and just thought life is too short. I didn’t tell anyone, not even my family. I just wanted to do what I could to talk more about veganism because you never really feel like you’re doing enough.
“I did eventually have to confess to my family that I entered and at first they kind of just rolled their eyes.”
Her husband Chris, and daughters Emily, 23, Lucy, 21, and Isobel, 20, are now really proud of her being crowned winner.
Louise added: “Anyone that knows me knows I’m not a showy person at all, or overly confident. But to win, I just feel so giddy.”
She initially went vegetarian 25 years ago and then made the switch to veganism 5 years ago. She and eldest daughter Emily are vegan while the rest of the family are vegetarian.
Louise also thanked everyone for voting and has given her top three tips to remain looking and feeling youthful.
- Eat more raw food. Smoothies and juices are my favourites and incorporating more raw foods definitely helps me feel my best.
- Cooking from scratch. Going back to basics and cooking from scratch is the best way to giving your body the nutrients it needs. The processed vegan foods can be tempting but I always try to go for home-made options.
- Ride bikes. I love going out riding my bikes in the fresh air. I think it's about a rounded approach to looking after yourself in general.
Louise and her daughter, Emily, run a vegan food blog.
Visit http://inthekitchenwithemandlou.com/ for more information.
Recent posts in Articles
- Free laptop for qualifying people in Scotland, during COVID-19 pandemic
- Pot luck lunch club coming soon…
- National Picnic Week, 22–28 June 2020
- FREE care caterer training
- Join our next virtual lunch club
- Veggie pledge success
- Clap for carers
- Necessity is the mother of invention: Getting creative in the kitchen
- Live vegan cookery demo this Friday, 6pm
- National Gardening Day