Mushroom and Ale Pot Pies
More comfort food, this is ideal for an autumn evening. You’ll need two small ovenproof pie dishes (about 350ml capacity each). Use a vegetable stock cube to make the stock.
- 200g button mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain white flour
- 250ml vegan stock
- 250ml dark vegan beer
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet vegan ready-rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5.
- In a large saucepan, fry the mushrooms, onion and leek in the olive oil for 10 minutes until the mushrooms have softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute, then gradually whisk in the stock and ale.
- Stir in the parsley and soya sauce and cook for a further 10 minutes, then remove from the heat, check and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and allow to cool.
- Place the pastry sheet on a floured board and cut two pie tops to fit the bowls you are using. Divide the cooled pie filling between the bowls, place the pastry lids on top and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until the pastry is puffy and browned. Serve immediately.