Extra Special Leek Soup
*For vegans use dairy-free soft ‘cheese’ such as Swedish Soft or Tofutti
- 30ml/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and very finely cubed
- 450g/1 lb leeks, washed and chopped
- 900ml/1½ pints vegetable stock
- 250g/9oz soft cheese with garlic and herbs*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices white bread
- 100g/4oz soft cheese with garlic and herbs*
- Chopped chives
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the potato until tender. Add the leeks, cover the pan and leave to sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Put the soft cheese into a bowl. Add a few spoons of soup and blend together with a fork to make a thick, creamy consistency. Stir into the hot
- soup and season to taste.
- Toast the bread on both sides and remove the crusts. Cut into bite-sized croutons and spread one side of each with soft cheese. Place on a baking
- sheet and pop under the grill for a few seconds until golden and bubbling.
- Heat the soup through gently, but do not boil.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each one with a few croutons. Sprinkle some chopped chives over and serve.