Kale, Chestnut & Mushroom Pie
Perfect on a cold December evening
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 150g/scant 5½ oz. chestnuts, chopped
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 250g/scant 9 oz. kale, stalks removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 400g/14 oz. of chestnut or button mushrooms, chopped
- 10 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 450ml/¾ pint of unsweetened almond milk or vegan milk of your choice
- 4 tbsp. of plain flour
- 500g/generous 17½ oz. of vegan ready roll puff pastry
- A little oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic. Add the kale and chestnuts, stir well, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the mixture has softened.
- In the meantime heat some oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms and sage. When the mushrooms have browned and released some water, slowly add the flour, stirring all the time. Carefully pour in the milk in small amounts. Keep stirring to make sure it mixes well. Add to the kale mixture, stir and season.
- Add the filling into your pie dish
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to about 0.5 cm thickness. Lay the rolled out pastry over the pie dish, and trim it down to fit a little over the dish. Tuck the excess pastry into the sides, sealing the pie. Brush the top with some almond milk. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until crisp and golden. Garnish with some fried sage leaves.