Neeps & Tatties (Swede & Potato Mash)
What the Scots call turnip (neeps), the English call swede – that large round root vegetable which is pale yellow inside, not English turnip, which is smaller and white inside.
- Even quantities of peeled potato and peeled swede – enough to serve 4
- Salt and lots of black pepper
- A little soya milk
- Dairy-free margarine, e.g. Pure or Vitalite brand
- Cut vegetables into medium chunks and cook in salted boiling water until tender. You can cook them separately or mix in together. Either way is fine.
- Similarly, mix each vegetable separately with a little soya milk and margarine or else mash together – by hand. Don’t attempt to food process mashed potatoes as they turn into a horrible gloopy mess.
- Taste, then season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve hot.