- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 mug of basmati rice
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 black cardamom pods
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- Pre-wash the rice in cold water, or soak in cold water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Add the oil to a medium pan. Heat to a medium heat.
- Slice the onion and add to the pan. Fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves and black cardamom. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add 2 mugs of boiling water, the vegetable stock cube and turmeric.
- Bring to the boil until all the water is evaporated. Turn off heat.
- Cover rice with pan lid and leave to steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick, bay leaves and black cardamom prior to serving