- ²⁄3 cup/145g/generous 5oz coconut oil
- 180g/generous 6¼oz dairy-free dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- ½ cup/120ml aquafaba
- ¾ cup/150g/scant 5¹⁄3oz sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup/150g/scant 5¹⁄3oz chickpea flour, sifted if lumpy
- ¼ cup/20g/generous ²⁄3oz cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2. Lightly grease or line a 20x20cm (approx) baking tin with some coconut oil.
- Place the coconut oil and chocolate pieces together in a small bowl over a pan of hot water and gently melt until smooth. Once melted, put to one side to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the aquafaba and the sugar together with an electric mixer until thick and glossy. Mix in the vanilla extract and the melted chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the chickpea flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix untilyou have a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking tin. Bake for around 30 minutes.
- Insert a knife into the centre of the brownies. If it comes out with a wet batter it needs a little more time to cook. Check every 3–4minutes until it’s cooked and then remove from the oven.
- Let the brownies cool in the tin completely before slicing them into squares.
CHEF’S TIP: Extra special when served warm with vegan cream or ice cream.