Get inspired with these easy, tasty sandwich filling ideas. Perfect for every day lunches or special picnics and afternoon teas.
- An incredible, flavoursome take on a classic try our ultimate vegan smoked ‘salmon’ and cream cheese on a toasted bagel https://vegetarianforlife.org.uk/recipes/breakfast-ideas/smoked-salmon-cream-cheese-bagels
- For a delicious taste of Italy try vegan mozzarella and pesto on a toasted ciabatta, with a layer of tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Instead of a classic BLT sandwich, make a TLT – tempeh, lettuce, and tomato. It’s not an original concept, but if each component is packed with flavour it’s a real winner! Add grilled tempeh alongside oven-roasted cherry tomatoes, shredded lettuce and a generous slather of vegan mayo with some avocado, on thick slices of sourdough bread.
- For a spicy option, toast a French baton, add pickled veggies (best done the night before), coriander, fresh chilli, some deliciously marinated tofu and you have a delicious vegan Banh Mi Sandwich.
- Classic finger sandwich; cream cheese and sliced cucumber.
- Eastern delight: hummus, shop bought falafel and grated carrot.
- Taste of India: shop bought onion bhaji or vegetable pakora with mango chutney or vegan raita.
- Mexican magic: guacamole, onion, tomato and sliced vegan ready to eat sausages such as VBites.
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sarnies
- 400g/14oz tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp capers, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- Handful of mixed salad leaves
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 8 slices of bread
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients apart from the salad leaves, and mix well.
- Assemble sandwiches laying some salad leaves and sprinkling some red pepper on each one. Also works well with sliced cucumber. Top with the chickpea tuna and enjoy!