Celebrate the Royal Wedding before it’s scone
People all over the UK and the rest of the world are looking forward to not one but two royal weddings this year. To celebrate Prince Harry’s wedding to Meghan Markle on 19 May, we will be releasing some recipes for anyone who wants to have afternoon tea parties or royal wedding themed lunches during May.
The first, non-essential but quintessentially British recipe we will be sharing is for scones. These can be served with coconut cream, jam and tea for a cream tea, or as an addition to a full afternoon tea with cakes, pastries and sandwiches.
Basic vegan scone recipe
500g self-raising flour
2 pinches salt
100g Stork baking block
200ml soya milk
100g caster sugar
- Raisins, sultanas or glacé cherries
- OR for an American twist add chocolate chips or blueberries
- Dairy-free 'cream' from the chilled section in a Kosher store – beaten until fluffy
- OR whipped coconut cream/Soyatoo® squirty or whipped cream
- Raspberry or strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease trays or tins and line with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, salt and margarine and rub together with clean fingers or a food processor until resembling breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar.
- Gradually add the soya milk. When it becomes a dough, stir in the fruit, if using.
- Roll and divide into balls. Place on greased and lined tray.
- Brush with soya milk.
- Bake until golden (10–15 mins).
- Serve with cream and jam.
We hope that you enjoy this scone recipe whether you are using it at home, at a lunch club, or catering at a care home or day centre. We will be sharing more tips and tricks for the perfect royal wedding celebration over the next few months.
Recent posts in Recipes and VfL News and Events
- Meet the UK care homes committed to veggie catering excellence: National Vegetarian Week, 10–16 May 2021
- Two exciting career opportunities at V for Life
- Fun activities & training this National Vegetarian Week
- Virtual Lunch Club – Tuesday 27 April
- Lunch is served
- Virtual Lunch Club – Tuesday 23 March 2021
- Five ways to futureproof your veg*n diet from dementia
- Celebrate Pancake Day in style with these vegan pancakes
- Pancake Day, Eastern European Style
- Virtual Lunch Club – Tuesday 23 February 2021