Celebrate National Cream Tea Day with a dairy-free alternative
Crack open the strawberry jam, whip up some soya cream and get your mixing bowl ready for National Cream Tea Day 2019!
You don't have to miss out on some yummy scones just because you don't consume dairy. This year we've got a fantastic recipe to share with you for vegan fruit scones.
Vegan Fruit Scones
Time to prepare: 15–20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Dietary requirements: vegan, kosher, halal
- 225g self-raising flour
- 50g dairy-free margarine
- 25g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 50g raisins
- 120ml plant milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F/gas mark 6.
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl with the salt.
- Rub the margarine into the flour.
- Add the raisins and sugar and mix together.
- Add the milk and mix together to a soft dough. If the mix is too wet add a little flour, or if too dry add a little more plant milk.
- Roll out onto a floured surface to approx. 2 cm thick. Cut into rounds and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 220°C/428°F/gas mark 6 for 10–12 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Serve with soya or coconut cream and jam.
Recent posts in Recipes
- Pancakes for all
- Enjoy a special Valentine’s Day with those you love
- Chef’s top tips for Veganuary 2020
- Ten tips for catering for vegan residents this Christmas
- Remembering loved ones through food
- Vegan nut cheese masterclass
- Care chef’s bold veggie challenge
- Catering students brush-up on veggie catering skills
- Time for tea
- Review of VfL’s latest cookery course with Age UK, Barnet