Chef’s top tips for Veganuary 2020
If you are thinking of trying veganism in 2020, Veganuary is a great place to start – 31 days of going plant-based is easier than you might think.
We asked our roving chef, Alex Connell, for advice to help you prepare for a successful and tasty month.
Alex creates a variety of delicious vegan meals and baked goods throughout the year at events and for care establishments, so here are his top tips.
- Find alternatives for the things that you enjoy. There are plant-based alternatives to cheese, milk, chocolate – for anything that you could want, there are great substitutes out there. All of the major supermarkets stock them, so you will spoilt for choice. One of my absolute favourites is Oatly Chocolate Milk.
- Get creative. Have a look on the Vegetarian for Life website for recipes and find four or five that you really enjoy, or treat yourself to a new cookbook. A real winner for me is the Vegetable Korma.
- Visit local vegan or vegetarian restaurants to see what’s on offer. There are so many new options for vegans that it’s as simple as choosing something different on the menu.
- Baking hacks: There are many, but a good one to remember is using apple sauce or a mashed banana in recipes that include an egg. It’s a simple but effective swap.
- Make sure you are eating enough. Plant-based foods often have a lower calorie density, so you might need to eat more to be feel full... which just means you get to eat more delicious foods!
Alex added: “Finally, don’t be too hard on yourself if you do slip up. It’s about trying vegan foods and figuring out which foods and meals will become your staples. Have fun with it – remember why you decided to give it a go in the first place, and enjoy it.”
If you are about to begin catering for an older vegan person you might be feeling slightly apprehensive and have many questions running through your mind. Vegetarian for Life has put together a Vegan Rescue Pack to support you. We’re sure that in no time at all you will feel confident and become a happy vegan cook! Click here to download your free copy.
Recent posts in Recipes
- Ten tips for catering for vegan residents this Christmas
- Remembering loved ones through food
- Vegan nut cheese masterclass
- Care chef’s bold veggie challenge
- Catering students brush-up on veggie catering skills
- Time for tea
- Review of VfL’s latest cookery course with Age UK, Barnet
- Celebrate National Cream Tea Day with a dairy-free alternative
- World Meat Free Week
- Try a delicious vegan cupcake on Cupcake Day