It’s World Vegan Day on 1 November, so how about a delicious cake to celebrate? Made with flaxseed as an egg replacer, and olive oil instead of butter, this delicious cake is perfect for the winter months.
Orange Chocolate & Olive Oil Marble Cake
2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp water
3 cups (360g) self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup coconut sugar
1 cup oat milk
½ cup olive oil
100g dark chocolate
1 tsp wild orange essential oil (or orange essence)
Zest of 1 small orange
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and line a loaf tin.
- Mix flaxseed and water in a small bowl and leave to thicken for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Weigh flour and add to a mixing bowl. Follow with salt, bicarbonate, baking powder and coconut sugar.
- Add flax mixture to the flour, then slowly add oat milk and oil. Mix and beat the batter until very smooth.
- Put chocolate on to melt gently over a bain-marie.
- Split the cake batter by adding some to another bowl.
- To this bowl add the melted chocolate and orange essence and zest. Fold in but do not overbeat the batter at this point.
- Add both batters in one after the other and finish by swirling delicately with a knife.
- Bake for 30 minutes, checking at this point with a skewer and covering the cake to bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once cooked through, remove from the oven and leave to stand in the tin for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from tin and place on a wire rack to fully cool.