Raw vegan carrot cupcakes
It’s National Cupcake Day! I love cake, however I also strive to create nutritionally dense foods. Have a look at our website for traditional vegetarian and vegan cake and muffin ideas. Alternatively, here is a recipe for some raw (no baking required), healthier carrot cupcakes. They are really simple to create, make use of UK ingredients, and are delicious!
Raw Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup walnuts (not soaked)
- 2 cups grated raw carrots, squeezed well through cheesecloth or with paper towel to remove as much excess moisture as possible
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 1+ hours
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- Dash sea salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the cupcakes
- Process the dates and walnuts in a food processor until they are crumbly, but holding together.
- Add grated carrots and spices. Process until the mix has taken the form of a dough.
- Add raisins and pulse to combine.
For the frosting
- Rinse cashews and place in a food processor with sweetener, salt and lemon. Process until the mixture is well combined. Add just enough water to get a thick, smooth cream-like consistency.
- Push the carrot cake dough into six muffin tins and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Remove from the fridge, and add frosting with a piping bag or simply spoon on top.
Recent posts in Recipes
- Orange Chocolate & Olive Oil Marble Cake
- Can we mix it? Yes vegan!
- Zanna presents… Roasted Vegetable Biryani
- Veggie barbecue inspiration
- National Fish & Chip Day
- Creamy Vegan Quiche
- Carrot Lox at the LGBT Foundation
- Celebrate the Royal Wedding before it’s scone
- An MP for vegan tea
- Sumptuous Sunday roasts