Virtual Lunch Club, Tuesday 24 November
Join us via Zoom for V for Life's next virtual lunch club on Tuesday 24 November, from 1pm. Get ready for winter and boost your immune system with some tasty, nutritious one-pot wonders.
Check out the recipes below, buy your ingredients, and cook the dishes on the day ready for the Zoom chat at 1pm. Talk cookery, recipes and more, and meet likeminded people from across the UK.
Don't forget to join our Facebook group too, to keep up-to-date and share pictures of your tasty creations.
Both recipes can be frozen, or you could reduce the amount of ingredients and make smaller portions. All have fairly basic ingredients but if you can't get hold of anything feel free to adapt the recipe. You don't need to cook both recipes; the simpler and quicker option will be the carrot and orange soup. If you're not able to cook on the day just join us for a chat with whatever you're eating anyway!
Here's what you'll need to add to your shopping list or dig out the cupboard:
- 2 medium leeks
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- 4 medium carrots
- Olive oil
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cloves
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 275ml vegan porter or red wine (*use kosher wine if required)
- 200g red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock (optional)
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce OR glug of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp tamarind, 1 tbsp molasses
Carrot, Ginger and Orange Soup
- Good glug of olive oil
- 4 small onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2–3 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 litre water with vegan stock or 4 tsp vegetable bouillon
- Couple of pinches of cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Open to vegetarians, vegans and meat reducers aged 65 and over.
Email email@example.com to find out more, or to book your place and get the Zoom link and password. Or call the VfL office on 0161 257 0887.
If technology and Zoom in particular are new to you, visit https://www.abilitynet.org.uk/ call 0800 048 7642, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for help. If you're already tech savvy, all you'll need to do is open the Zoom link in your internet browser and join the meeting.
Make sure that your audio and video are switched on. We'll be happy to talk you through all of this on the day or in advance.
Recent posts in VfL News and Events
- Virtual Lunch Club – Tuesday 23 March 2021
- New British Dietetic Association endorsed resources help those catering for veg*ns
- Five ways to futureproof your veg*n diet from dementia
- Virtual Lunch Club – Tuesday 23 February 2021
- Events for 2021
- Virtual Lunch Club – Tuesday 26 January 2021
- Charity chef takes on epic challenge in the world of virtual running
- V for Life Cookery School brings a festive flavour to VegfestUK this Winter
- Christmas Lunch Club coming soon
- Vegetarian for Life celebrates veggie care heroes in star-studded awards ceremony