Awards deadline extended
V for Life's Annual Award for Excellence in Vegetarian and Vegan Care Catering draws attention to the need for care homes to be inclusive. And nominations are now open!
Vegans and vegetarians can sometimes face challenges as they get older – from struggling to prepare their own meals at home, through to moving into care, or even developing dementia. Currently, the support needed for someone to remain vegan or vegetarian isn't always there.
Our award recognises people who go the extra mile to meet the needs of older vegans and vegetarians. Such people work to ensure that no one has to give up their beliefs because of age-related issues. The award has brought some inspiring unsung heroes into the limelight... with last year's award winner featuring in the Guardian.
This year, the award ceremony will take place in the Houses of Parliament. News of the award is spreading, and the innovative ideas of the winners are being passed from care home to care home – as our new film shows.
So we questioned – why limit ourselves to just one award? In 2018, we're looking for four Veggie Heroes who support older vegans and vegetarians, in the care sector and beyond.
We are thrilled to announce our new award categories:
- The first is Veggie Care Chef of the Year. We are looking for the chef that makes vegan or veggie residents excited about dinner time.
- The second category is Veggie Wholesaler of the Year. Meals on Wheels? Vegan delivery service? Inclusive retailer supplying the care sector? We're looking for a wholesaler who makes it easy.
- Next up is Most Innovative Veggie Dish. We want someone to come up with a fantastic, original recipe that we can recommend to care catering staff. Getting older doesn't mean that you've tried all of the dishes out there...
- Finally, the Special Recognition award. This is for that special someone who strives to make the UK a better place for older vegans and vegetarians. This could be a volunteer, a resident, a staff member or anyone who demonstrates outstanding commitment to making veganism and vegetarianism accessible to older people.
If you know someone who should be nominated for one of these Veggie Hero awards, or would like to nominate yourself, simply write 200 words telling us why. Send your applications to email@example.com before 12 August 2018.
Click here for more information. Good luck!
Recent posts in Articles and VfL News and Events
- Announcing three exciting new job vacancies
- Vegan residents in UK care homes have almost TREBLED during past 5 years, according to new research
- New guide launched to promote dietary inclusivity in care
- eBites Spring 2019
- Some residents like it spicy!
- Getting cheesy in Brighton
- Imperfection is beauty! The art of creative cooking
- Vegan taste testing at Midlands care home
- Meet the incredible 81-year-old vegan whose mission is to complete ONE MILLION press-ups
- Taste the love this Valentine’s with our Strawberry Bakewell recipe